Skip to main content

2006 (old posts, page 1)

Whistler, day two begins

Plenty of sleep last night, disturbed only by soothing lullaby of the�beeping house alarm. It's wicked cold this morning but the lifts are starting to run and we have riding to do.
• −    − •    − • •    − • − −     − − −    • −    • − •    • − • •    •    − • − −

Whistler, day one

Despite our best efforts, a seven am start was the best we could muster after a late-evening outing to Fado. We made decent time, breakfast at McDonalds, five minutes at the border and an easy drive up to Whistler.

Rentals and passes were all easy and we were on the mountain before one pm. Snow is so-so, no powder, but it's not icy or bullet proof and quite enjoyable. It's wickedly cold too. Dave and I got plenty of runs into today and found the skills came back quickly enough.

Our accommodation is decidedly palace-like with plenty of space, lots of bedrooms, a nice big gathering room and a tiny hot tub which still managed to hold the six of us. Very pleased there.

Great home-made spaghetti for dinner and now the fresh air is starting to go to my head. It will be a quiet night.

Photos of Snowboarding at Whistler

• −    − •    − • •    − • − −     − − −    • −    • − •    • − • •    •    − • − −

New blog location

I'm going to start using MSN spaces for blogging exclusively because it has great support for post-by-email and mobile devices. I'll swtich the main feed on and put some redirects in place for the feeds. Still got to figure out what to do with the old posts, but that'll follow.
• −    − •    − • •    − • − −     − − −    • −    • − •    • − • •    •    − • − −

First mobile post

..Text has been a great blogging engine for a few years now but its relative stagnation (as work transferred to Community Server) has left me looking for more. Meanwhile MSN Spaces has come a really long way since its Japanese pilot and is really starting to look good.

Combine that with my new Treo 700 which makes writing mails on the move really easy (like this one) and it's a recipe for success.

• −    − •    − • •    − • − −     − − −    • −    • − •    • − • •    •    − • − −

Brother arrives!

It's been a crazy busy few weeks for me between Hawaii, another VSLive! keynote and now with Dave in town. He arrived Saturday afternoon and undeterred by jetlag, he ate Jamie Oliver-style burgers and even managed a few drinks out at Marcus' Martini Heaven after a ten hour flight.

Sunday morning we caught a 9:30 ferry over to Bainbridge Island for some breakfast at the Steamliner Diner. Good as always and a really leisurely, pedestrian way to start the day. At an unprecedented-for-Seattle 60 degrees (F) the afternoon was not to be wasted and the top of the Space Needle gave clear views of Rainier and another latte at Starbucks. Dave, Katie and I had a great meal at the Icon Grill in the evening and called it an early night.

After work on Monday, there was more good food at Benihana and we enjoyed it all. I got up before seven this morning to move Katie's car (unfortunately she seems to have been struck down by the flu) and I did not expect to see the snow falling but it only lasted until about nine. By then, we were in IHOP enjoying breakfast and pancakes. We have been eating well.

We're off to Whistler early tomorrow morning for five days of boarding. We even have ski-in ski-out accommodation! I can't wait.

• −    − •    − • •    − • − −     − − −    • −    • − •    • − • •    •    − • − −

Seahawks are going to Detroit!

The Seahawks have done it, beating the Panthers to secure a spot at Superbowl XL. Sean's season tickets in the Hawk's Nest were a great spot from which to enjoy a decisive victory. My ears are ringing and the streets are filled with people cheering and car horns going. The city is going absolutely nuts. Bravo!

• −    − •    − • •    − • − −     − − −    • −    • − •    • − • •    •    − • − −


We left�a dreary (read pouring) Redmond just after three on Friday and battled I-405 traffic all the way to the airport. Online checkin saved us any delays and we were pushing back from the gate on time at 5.30, Burger King feast in hand. The bumpy flight seemed to take a long time, but there were rewards waiting at the other end.

As we touched down in a balmy 79F, we were greeted with flower leis and a ride to our hotel in Waikiki Beach. The atmosphere was both relaxed and lively at the same time. Waikiki is clearly a resort with plenty going on, yet has a safe, comfortable feeling even late at night. Stomach requirements took us down the main street in search a food at 22:30, well after traditional Hawaiian eating time, but our search soon paid off with Pina Coladas (I'd like to say this was my only froo-froo cocktail of the trip, but I'd be lying), live music and bar food. Seattle was a long way away.

Saturday, we enojyed a very large breakfast and set about some exploring. A few hours on the beach, some swimming in the ocean and (what seemed like a) very long walk filled out day up just nicely. Wanting to experience all the cuisine possible (and working around restaurant opening times), we had a sushi started in one restaurant and promptly moved on to a Japanese steakhouse (Tanaka) for a cooked-before-your-eyes feast.

On Sunday morning we caught a bus up to Diamond Head, a volcanically-formed crater just south of Waikiki and climbed a mile up to the Fire Control Station build during WWII which sat upon the rim. It was pleasantly warm although a striding wind provided some relief at the summit. The views from the top�were fantastic.�After waiting a ridiculously long time for the number 58 bus, we were now heading further away from Waikiki on our way to Hanauma Bay.�It was the height of the afternoon yet the beach was surprisingly� free of people. A bargain $9 rental for 'dry' snorkelling gear (no water comes in when you're under water) and we began to wade out into the bay. Just a few feet from the shore, a dip under revealed a remarkable sight - the coral was right there, teeming with big and little fishies alike. We spent almost an hour swimming around, heading further out into some of the deeper parts and spotting all manner of blue, yellow, black and red fish. A great experience. Coming back, there was no doubt that we were going to eat well and the Cheesecake Factory fit the bill perfectly. Sesame seed covered baked ahi and I was good. We finished the night up at the Mai Tai bar, part of the Royal Hawaiian Hotel (Waikiki's first luxury hotel painted a garish shade of pink) and started to get the impression that the Mai Tai cocktail is more of an idea than a strict recipe.

Monday turned out to be Martin Luther King day and we got up early to watch the parade which went right past our hotel. Breakfast in Starbucks (you can take the people out of Seattle...) and we spent another couple of hours soaking up the sun on the beach. Well, 'soaking' as much as a generous lathering of SPF 45 will allow. Apparently no trip to Waikiki is complete without a trip to the Cheeseburger in Paradise which does indeed offer precisely what it purports to. We spent the evening going down the drinks list at Duke's Canoe Club on the waterfront, lit with tiki torches, candles and the gentle rolling of the ways in the background.

For Tuesday, we had big plans. Renting a Ford Focus for the way (throughfully delivered in red), we first headed up to Pearl Harbor and the USS Arizona memorial. It's a well-trafficked destination but built for it well and the�trip out into the harbor made all of the history books I've read that bit more real. With no time to waste, we headed up to the North Shore. Again, food was on the agenda and I can state with some certainty that�the best lunch in the world is served at the Kua Aina Sandwich Shop. After lunch, we headed out to the shore and braved some of the waves for one last swim in the ocean. For our last stop, we checked out the Banzai Pipeline and saw some crazy surfers making the most of the 20-30ft waves that were surprisingly close to the shore. Time was moving along swiftly and since we had a plane to catch, our little 'detour' through downtown Honolulu wasn't the best decision. We arrived back at our hotel at the pick-up time for our shuttle (which had left a few minutes earlier) and a clear fifteen minutes after the rental car needed to be back. All worked out well in the end and we caught a cab to the deserted airport. As we went to get some food and one last drink, the reason for the emptiness became apparent --�due to a bit of a mix-up we had a clear five hours before our flight was due to leave. Oh well, one more Mai Tai please.

We arrived back in Seatac just after five thirty in the morning, stopped back for a quick shower and straight into a full day of work. But with no question, it was well worth it. One more Lonely Planet book sits of my bookshelf and serves�as a reminder of a great trip.

• −    − •    − • •    − • − −     − − −    • −    • − •    • − • •    •    − • − −

23 days

As we hurtle towards the 23rd straight day of rain, I'm very glad to be going to the sun, the beach and 80 degrees this weekend. Hawaiian shirts rock, too.

Just got a few things to do before then.

• −    − •    − • •    − • − −     − − −    • −    • − •    • − • •    •    − • − −

Back into the swing of things

Back to work and the four day week just flew by. By Friday night, everything had just about settled down, but there's plenty of action coming in the next few months.

Friday night was Sean's birthday and we enjoyed some drinks up in Ballard followed by a rather unsuccessful outing to the bowling alley. Happy Birthday, Sean.

Katie and I headed out to Mowich Lake in Rainier National Park yesterday to give the new snowshoes a bit of a breaking-in. It's less than two hours to get to places on this side of the mountain, but we bumped along the last miles of the dirt track up to the trailhead, the snow was notably absent. The road was closed about five miles from the lake as it's closed aftre the first snowfall of the season which had long since melted. Undeterred, we hiked about three quarters of a mile up the road (in regular boots) until we hit the snow and decided to turn around (being, surprisingly, ill-equipped for the change in terrain). It was a good decision, as the�sky opened just after we got back and didn't stop for hours. A tasty lunch at Quiznos on the way back and we were done.

Sunday morning was relaxed enough. Katie made a trip up to Barnes and Noble and found my book on the shelf (very exciting!) and we both went up to House of Kong in the International District for dim sum marking Jenna's birthday. We ate well indeed.

• −    − •    − • •    − • − −     − − −    • −    • − •    • − • •    •    − • − −

Exciting plans

I've just booked a four day getaway in Hawaii for the middle of January. Katie and I will be leaving rain-soaked Seattle behind for a delightful long weekend on Waikiki Beach, Oahu. Can't wait!